Re: gpilotd broke

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 19:52, Mike Sowka wrote:

> Long story short, once I installed IBM JVM onto my Treo 600, the
> synchronization process keeps hanging on the "Backup" stage as it tries
> to backup the "J9 MIDP Bundle". Yes, that particular base EVERY time...
>
> ... I've got "Backup" disable now, but would like to know what's going
> on, and when I will be able to turn "Backup" back on. I'm not taking
> Java off my Treo ;).

Sounds like the JVM app might exceed a limit on the size of code
segments.  This (64k) limit has been around since the earliest palmos
days because the initial dragonball processors could not jump more than
64k (+/- 32k) through the code.  Some recent apps ignore this
restriction.

Here's an old posting that suggests a change to pilot-link to fix this.

           From:
David A.
Desrosiers
<hacker gnu-designs com>
             To:
pilot-link General
List
<pilot-link-general pilot-link org>
Re: segfault when
syncing Avx
MP3Decoder.prc on
Clie NX70
           Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003
22:15:33 -0400
(EDT)

        > I have the same problem. Has there been any response?

                Probably yet-another application violating the 64k
        segment barrier.
        You could try increasing DLP_BUF_SIZE in include/pi-dlp.h (and
        remove the
        #define for the same in libpisock/dlp.c, which will be fixed in
        the next
        release) and see if that helps. Something like 0x1ffff should
        do.

                Let me know if it works for you or not.

        d.