Failing sync with treo 650 on Fedora Core 3

Hi! I'm trying to get my shiny new Treo 650 syncing with Evolution on an
up-to-date install of Fedora Core 3. On the same machine, the syncing
works properly under Windows. Thanks to the mailing list archives, I've
made some progress. But I still can't sync properly, and I'm hoping
someone here will be able to point me in the right direction

The dynamically created devices, /dev/ttyUSB0, and /dev/ttyUSB1, appear
when I press the HotSync button, and my account has permissions to read
them. The gpilotd-control-applet, however, will not detect the Treo.

Digging further, I tried using the pilot-xfer program directly. This is
somewhat better. If I try listing the databases just after I press the
hotsync button, I get a partial list:

        [william royko ~ 1]% pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -L

           Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB1

           Please press the HotSync button now... Connected

        Reading list of databases in RAM and ROM...
        AcntDB-IAMBIC
        CTNAlarm
        Blazer Bookmarks
        lbPG-Clipboard
        ZL_CardProgramLaunchedDB
        ZL_CategoriesDB
        CarrierProfiles
        CarrierProfiles2
        ADPCMCodec
        CodecWrapper
        MImgPlugIn
        MP3Codec
        MPEG4Decoder
        MPEG4Encoder
        pssh Connection List
        IdeaPadDB
        DefaultHelperDB

But at this point pilot-xfer hangs and this message is displayed on the
Treo:

        The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop
        was lost. Some of your data was NOT backed up. Please check your
        setup and try again.

Does anybody here have a guess as to what might be wrong? I'm stumped.

Thanks,

William

--
William Pietri <william scissor com>