Re: Neo Visor/Evo 1.4MDK 9.1 - won't sync first time w/out entering Pilot Settings

Le lun 15/09/2003 à 20:26, Paul M. Bucalo a écrit :
> Before I reply in kind, let me thank you for responding! I really
> appreciate this....
>
> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 13:58, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> > > Closing gives me an error message that the connection to '/dev/pilot' is
> > > not present. It doesn't matter if I use /dev/ttyUSB1' instead of the
> > > symlink, same result. Once I accept this error message, pressing the
> > > hotsync button on the cradle makes the connection and I am able to sync
> > > for as long as Evo is up and running. Sometimes, it lasts for as long as I
> > > am booted up.
> >
> > 	A couple of things:
> >
> > 	1.) Don't use devfs. Nobody is using it anymore, and the problems
> > 	    with it are vast and many. If you must use it, statically create
> > 	    device for your Palm handheld in /dev/, and make sure it remains
> > 	    persistant through reboots.
>
> While I don't wish to be argumentative, I find this comment strange.
> Mandrake Linux and the 2.4.?? kernels are not just implementing devfs.
> Documentation indicates this is a new advancement, not old practice. In
> Mandrake, it seems to be pretty much 'de facto', now. Am I missing
> something here?

No, you are not.. ATM, it is the only solution with kernel 2.4.x to get
events for all kind of new hardware plugged in/out on the system..

> If I did stop the daemon from running on boot-up, I might have to make
> some system changes to make sure current devices continue to work,
> right? Would this end up being more hassles for me? I am still a bit of
> a newbie.
>

> > 	2.) Don't use hotplug for the visor driver. Blacklist it in the
> >             /etc/hotplug/blacklist file, so it is not loaded by the daemon
> >             itself. Add 'visor' to /etc/modules.conf, and let it load once,
> >             and remain loaded, at boot time.
>
> I'll blacklist visor from hotplug. I already load the visor module in
> '/etc/modules.conf'.

Adding VISOR=yes in /etc/sysconfig/usb should be enough to get visor
module loaded at startup..

> > > I have tried entering setting directly in Gnome Control Panel, but the
> > > same issue stands. I've noticed that the /.gpilotd directory is empty.
> > > Shouldn't I be seeing a configuration file in there?
> >
> > 	If you can run gpilotd-control-applet, and configure your Palm (not
> > as root, of course) and save that configuration, it should be put into
> > ~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d/, not ~/.gpilotd. Make sure ownership and
> > permissions permit that, of course.
>
> I checked and permissions are OK. Still don't see why I should have to
> re-enter the control applet to get Evo/Gnome Pilot to function on a
> sync, though. Devfsd is allowing the first connection to be made, but
> only after I re-enter the info into Evo's 'Pilot Settings'. It's fine
> thereafter.

This is fixed in Mdk 9.2RC2 which is not accessing /dev before hotsync
button is pressed.. It was working more or less in 9.1 because
gnome-pilot wasn't ported yet for GNOME2..

In short, Evo 1.4.x + gnome-pilot 2.0.10 is working fine in Mdk 9.2RC2
default setup (which is used devfs by default)..

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandrakesoft com>
Mandrakesoft