Neo Visor/Evo 1.4MDK 9.1 - won't sync first time w/out entering Pilot Settings

I've been frustrated with the lack of apparent answers as to how to
solve my problem. Hopefully someone can help me figure this out...

I am running MDK 9.1 (running DevFs and kernel using hotplug) on a Dell
Inspiron 4000 laptop. Have a Handspring Neo Visor w/ USB cradle
connected to four-port USB hub which in turn is connected to the sole
USB port on the laptop. I'm the current version of Evolution 1.4 as
installed by Ximian Red Carpet. All files pertinent to Evo and its
supporting pilot files are installed. My goal is to consistently be able
to sync my Visor to Evo 1.4.

I want to make it clear that I can already do this. Once I finish
booting up I press the hotsync button from the cradle and establish a
connection through DevFs. Then, I must open up the Pilot Settings in
Evolution, delete the correct settings for my device, re-establish those
settings just as they were before, then try to close. Closing gives me
an error message that the connection to '/dev/pilot' is not present. It
doesn't matter if I use /dev/ttyUSB1' instead of the symlink, same
result. Once I accept this error message, pressing the hotsync button on
the cradle makes the connection and I am able to sync for as long as Evo
is up and running. Sometimes, it lasts for as long as I am booted up.

I have tried entering setting directly in Gnome Control Panel, but the
same issue stands. I've noticed that the /.gpilotd directory is empty.
Shouldn't I be seeing a configuration file in there?

I've read all the documentation available and searched most other places
I can think of. Someone must be in a similar situation and found a way
to have Evo remember its sync settings. Any pointers to additional docs,
solutions or suggestions in solving this problem appreciated. Please, no
recommendations to use KPilot or some other PIM conduit. The others
work, but I need the functionality of Evo and that is my preference.

TIA

Paul