SNAFU: Incomplete installs, no conduits available, precompiled packages not working

Hi all,

after playing with

pilot-link 0.11.8,
gnome-pilot_2.0.10 (patched for memo-bug)
gnome-pilot-conduits_2.0.10
evolution_1.4.4 and 1.4.5

for about two days now, all is f*cked up once again.

What I did first:
Install Evolution 1.4.4 precompiled via aptitude from

deb http://apt.bxlug.be/ evolution1.4/
deb http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~sdier/debian updates/wup/

and compiled pilot-link 0.11.8 and gnome-pilot / conduits by hand. That
doesn't work. I mean, evo runs, but the pilot-stuff doesn't, see below.

Since the evolution 1.4.5-0jds1 available from
deb
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody gnome2.2/

complains about unresolvable dependency problems in relation to
kerberos-libs (I can provide the whole bunch of details if needed, but
that would confuse here), I tried it with above mentioned 1.4.4 package.
Since that too didn't work, I cleared away all preinstallable
pilot-link, gnome-pilot and evolution-stuff from the system and compiled
everything on my own, sticking exactly to the howto given on
pilot-link.org.

So, I got a working pilot-link 0.11.8.
And I got a working evolution 1.4.5 build from source.

The problems are:

1) The "make install" for gnome-pilot seems to be incomplete. The file
/usr/src/pilot/gnome-pilot-2.0.10/gpilotd/gpilotd (i.e. the freshly
compiled daemon itself) is NOT COPIED to /usr/bin. Thus, after make
install, there is no gpilotd available on the system. I have to copy it
by hand.

2) same for the gpilotd-control-applet which is NOT installed in
/usr/bin and is thus not available. The gpilotd-capplet.glade and
gnome-palm.png files are NOT copied to
/usr/local/share/gnome-pilot/glade. copying these three files where they
seem to belong leads to a working gpilotd-control-applet.

3) Installing the conduits with make install copies them to
 /usr/share/gnome-pilot/conduits/, but none of them is displayed inside
the control applet, so that they can not be configured.

4) Installing Evolution leads to a working evo 1.4.5, but neither the
gpilot-conduits nor the evo-sync-conduits (calendar, addressbook, notes)
show up in the control applet.

When I start a gpilotd in an xterm, it says

gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 2.0.10 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version ..
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: bonobo_activation_active_server_register = 0
gpilotd-Message: Watching Clie (/dev/ttyUSB1)

As mentioned several times in earlier posts, I wonder very much why
there are only two dots (..) for the pilot-link version instead of
0.11.8....

Starting a hotsync then gives:
----8<----
gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 2.0.10 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version ..
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: bonobo_activation_active_server_register = 0
gpilotd-Message: Watching Clie (/dev/ttyUSB1)
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=57600

(lt-gpilotd:11398): gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: Connection timed
out

(lt-gpilotd:11398): gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: timeout was 2 secs
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=57600

(lt-gpilotd:11398): gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: Connection timed
out

(lt-gpilotd:11398): gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: timeout was 2 secs
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=57600

(lt-gpilotd:11398): gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: Connection timed
out

(lt-gpilotd:11398): gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: timeout was 2 secs
--->8-----

Sometimes, when I get the timing right, I can start gpilotd, and shortly
after press hotsync on the Clie and they connect. I know, USB works the
other way round: first press hotsync, USB-device gets activated, gpilotd
can grab the traffic. But that way, it doesn't work at all here. NEVER.
So I got used to that "manual timing problem".

That is, IF I get a connection, all I get is:
---8<---
gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 2.0.10 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version ..
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: bonobo_activation_active_server_register = 0
gpilotd-Message: Watching Clie (/dev/ttyUSB1)
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=57600
gpilotd-Message: Cradle Clie has 0 events
gpilotd-Message: Instantiating 0 conduits...
gpilotd-Message: Instantiated 0 backup conduits, 0 file conduits, 0
other conduits
gpilotd-Message: HotSync button pressed, synchronizing pilot
gpilotd-Message: Pilot ID is 9560, name is MyPilot, owner is Lars W
gpilotd-Message: Pilot has 0 entries in restore queue
gpilotd-Message: Pilot has 0 entries in conduit queue
gpilotd-Message: Synchronization ended
gpilotd-Message: Exiting (caught SIGINT)...
--->8----

That's it. Of course there is nothing done, since NO CONDUITS were
configured. How shall I configure them if the control-applet doesn't
show them though they are in place? I have done several "make install"
and "make uninstall", removed ~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d/ and reinstalled
the whole stuff. I even did "make clean" for ALL four packages and
afterwards run the whole configure-compile-install program again. No
change. No more ideas.

Something (everything) is very strange here once again, please HELP!

Regards
Lars

PS Running that sh*t on Debian Woody, with backported Gnome 2.2 and
Xfree 4.3

--
Lars  Weissflog
Droegestrasse 7