Getting around USB synch issues

I finally got to sit down and start slapping USB synchronization around
this weekend, and _thought_ that I could get around the problem of the
race between gpilotd and the sync button by adding a hotplug script to
cause the USB connection to do a `killall -HUP gpilotd` but no dice.
Restarting gpilotd through the applet seems to work so I suppose I'll do
a little bit of digging to see if I've just been sending the wrong
signal... Has anyone come up with something better than that or am I
somehow overlooking a more correct solution?

(Yeah, I know that's a kludge, but it was worth a shot.  Possibly
something calling lsof to -HUP everything eyeballing /dev/pilot would be
a cleaner approach.)