new version problems

I have been using the 0.65 version of gnome-pilot for quite some time
now, and while I had a few issues getting the setup done, I got it
working about 6 months back, and have had no problems syncing with
evolution, backing up, etc.

I just installed the newest version of Evolution (1.4), which installed
gnome-pilot 2.0.9 as a dependency (I'm running Gentoo 1.4)
Now, everything that was once working, is no longer functional. putting
pilot in cradle, pressing button, yields a connection in the syslog, and
the proper device entries in /dev/usb/tts/0 and 1.
Yet, nothing ever connects. I went into gnomecc to try to adjust the
settings, thinking maybe they had changed with the new release, and they
most definitely have, as all the applets have been wiped from gnomecc,
and have been moved to 'gnome-control-center', which now has one, barely
functional applet.

I went through the new setup, only to find that it is completely
incapable of recogizing that the button on the cradle has been pressed,
even when it is asking for this action.

I rolled back to a previous version, and have gotten my palm to sync
again, but it kicking out errors right and left that it cannot sync with
any of the evolution conduits.

Any useful information would be greatly appreciated.

-Todd Hought