Treo 300 fails :-(

Hello,

Another one bites the dust. The just-purchased Treo 300 fails to sync, but in a different way from the Samsung i330. Good news first: it's recognized on the USB port with no new kernel patches! :-)

When plugged in, the i330 would be recognized as a new device. The Treo 300 doesn't announce its ports until I hotsync, whether with the button or the Palm app. Both phones don't work on /dev/ttyUSB1: "visor.c: Device lied about number of ports, please use a lower one."

But still, it hangs out saying, "Connecting with the desktop using Direct USB/Serial." After a while, it times out (though "Cancel" doesn't work the way it did with the i330, and sometimes it just doesn't time out, but requires a reset). Again, pilot-xfer doesn't work, if started when not hot-syncing there's "No such device", and if started while hot-syncing there's no action, it just says, "Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB0 Please press the HotSync button now...".

Since USB is working for so many others but not for these two phones, I'm suspecting there may be something wrong with my setup. I have Debian woody stock 2.4.20, patched to recognize the Samsung i330. pilot-link (libpisock, libpisync, etc.) and gnome-pilot are 0.11.7-2 and 0.1.71-5 backported to woody. /dev/ttyUSB* look fine (188, 0-15) and have the correct permissions (crw-rw----, root/dialout; I'm a member of dialout). I've tried "cat /dev/ttyUSB0" while running pilot-xfer (during which both the cat and the pilot-xfer show up in "fuser /dev/ttyUSB0"), it shows nothing. The USB port works just fine with a USB floppy drive, and recognizes both phones just fine, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. (On the other hand, the IR port doesn't sync the old Kyocera 6035, so I think that's a hardware compatibility problem for this laptop.)

If I have a Windows laptop, can I listen in on the connection? Will a USB-Serial converter make it work via the serial port? (I don't believe there's a serial cradle for the i330 or Treo 300.) Does anyone have any other ideas as to what could be wrong, or how I could try to debug this thing?

I just want something that works... or does that necessarily mean... (gasp) Windows? I think I've shown I'm very willing to try stuff, if somebody will give me stuff to try!

Thanks,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>