treo and such annoying stuff

Reading back I didn't find a concrete solution to synching treos and
such handspring beasts.

In a nutshell it wants serial protocol on /dev/ttyUSB1 (being USB0
designed to make treo crash if something is writen into it as far
as i can tell).
I'm at gpilot 0.1.70, can't try cvs now cause none of my boxes has the
needed versions of <stuff>.

Problem: gpilotd can't use ttyUSB cause it doesn't exist most of the time.
if i set the connection to USB gpilotd segfaults right after hotsync
is pressed. Using the pause/unpause trick works, but
that defeats the purpose.

Is USB supposed to work and should I bother with building cvs ?
Whacking gpilotd to know about magical serial devices seems like a
rather nasty hack :\

cheers