Cant do initial sync with m505

I am running a debian unstable system with devfsd installed

I have it set up so that devfs symlinks /dev/pilot (and /dev/palm) to
/dev/usb/tts/1 when the device is created as the hotsync button is pressed.

/dev/usb/tts/1 has permissions 660 - but I am a member of the group (dialout)
that is the group owner of this file

module visor is installed.

When I press the hotsync button  /dev/pilot is definately created (and is
removed after the hotsync times out).

However, when I start gnome-pilot via the applet that is on the task bar and
it takes me through a series of screens - when I get to "initial sync" where
it tells me to press the hotsync button (and the forward button is greyed
out) - it just hangs and does nothing.

(I tell it that I have already synced this pilot - which is true, its been
syncing with windows ever since I first got it a couple of years ago).

So I am not sure where to go now - can anyone help please.

--
Alan Chandler
alan chandlerfamily org uk