evolution 1.4.5, red hat linux 9, and treo600?

I was using Evolution 1.2.2 and sync'ing with my Treo600 with no real
problems. I upgraded to Evolution 1.4.5, the pilot settings app now comes up and
says that it appears that I'm running gnome-pilot for the first time.
It asks me for the settings (USB,  /dev/pilot [linked to /dev/ttyUSB1, same
problem with /dev/ttyUSB0], have sync'd before) and then it asks me to hit
the sync button.  When I do this I can see the driver load in
/var/log/messages but I never get the 'forward' button lit in the applet. Any suggestions?
The pilot versions I have are:

gnome-pilot-2.0.10-0.ximian.6.1
pilot-link-0.11.5-4
pilot-link-devel-0.11.5-4
gnome-pilot-conduits-2.0.10-0.ximian.6.1
gnome-pilot-devel-2.0.10-0.ximian.6.1
gnome-pilot-applet-2.0.10-0.ximian.6.1
evolution-pilot-1.4.5-0.ximian.6.0

tks