building Evo

I'm trying to build Evo from the CVS head in order to apply JP's
patches.  First, ./configure wanted version 3.1.17 (no more, no less) of
db3.  Even though I have a later version, I had to download and build
3.1.17.  Then I had to add --with-db3-include=... --with-db3-lib=...

Finally got past that, now, Evo's ./configure says it needs
libgtkhtml-3.1.pc in the pkgconfig directory.  I can't even find a site
to download libgtkhtml-3.1 from.  Where do I get it?

Someone on the forum gave me a link that was supposed to tell me how to
build Evo from the CVS head, but it was really a how-to for integrating
gnome-pilot.

Why is Evo so dependent on particular versions of all these libraries?
It makes building it from the head an extremely challenging task.  I'm
not a packaging expert (just released my first open-source opus that
employes the Gnu make tools, http://umich.edu/~lsiden/lasi), so I'm not
even sure what I did to get a working version of Evo on my box in the
first place (I have 3.1.4).  I'm wondering if that release was a binary
release b/c otherwise, I can't see how I could have built it with all
the problems I'm encountering now.  I would try to download and build
3.1.4 but I don't know if JP's patches would apply anymore.

Nathan Owens seems to have navigated this minefield successfully based
on his recent message to the list.  Nathan, would you mind telling me
how you did it?

With thanks in adv. for any help,
Larry Siden