Re: building Evo

--- Larry Siden <lsiden289748mi comcast net> wrote:

> Finally got past that, now, Evo's ./configure says it needs
> libgtkhtml-3.1.pc in the pkgconfig directory.  I can't even find a
> site
> to download libgtkhtml-3.1 from.  Where do I get it?

You should already have libgtkhtml 3.1 (or similar) if you're using
gnome 2. However, you need the development package of libgtkhtml as
well. I know with Mandrake, it's libgtkhtml-devel (or something like
that).

Also, for db3, I think I was able to get the redhat versions of db3 and
install those (if you're using an rpm-based distribution - I can't
remember if you are)

> Why is Evo so dependent on particular versions of all these
> libraries?  It makes building it from the head an extremely
> challenging task. I'm not a packaging expert (just released my first
> open-source opus that employes the Gnu make tools,
> http://umich.edu/~lsiden/lasi), so I'm not even sure what I did to
get
> a working version of Evo on my box in the first place (I have 3.1.4).

> I'm wondering if that release was a binary release b/c otherwise, I
> can't see how I could have built it with all the problems I'm
> encountering now.  I would try to download and build 3.1.4 but I
don't
> know if JP's patches would apply anymore.

What program/package are you refering to with a version of 3.1.4?

The only specific version that's required that ximian doesn't provide
for us is db3, and since you have that installed, the rest should be
pretty simple. It basically comes down to "do you have the right
development libraries". When asked for a file, try to find a package
that provides this file. For libgtkhtml-3.1.pc, you should install the
libgtkhtml3.0_2-devel package that Ximian provides.

> Nathan Owens seems to have navigated this minefield successfully
based
> on his recent message to the list.  Nathan, would you mind telling me
> how you did it?

Check out the Evolution README file in the project's CVS folder. You
can get many packages from ftp.ximian.com/pub/ximian-evolution/<your
distribution>. You should install the latest version of each package
(including "devel" packages) found in that folder. You might have some
of these already installed.

I actually just applied the patches to the evolution 1.4.4 source in
the /pub/source/evolution directory on the same ftp server, and not the
CVS. I just wanted to be able to sync my addresses (sounds like you
want to be able to do the same).

When 'configure' gives you an error, you probably need to install a
devel package with a very similar name to the error that configure
gives. For example, libgtkhtml-3.1.pc. You need to install
libgtkhtml-devel version 3.1. You probably have libgtkhtml version 3.1
already installed, but not the devel package. I don't think it's a
specific version thing, as I'm using version 3.0.8. I believe it just
requires that you have a version >= 3.0.8 for Evo v.1.4.4. Version
3.0.8 is provided by Ximian for rpm-based distros.

After getting Evolution to compile, it's relatively simple to apply the
patches manually (I can't remember how to get the 'patch' program to
work).

If you have any more questions or are still having problems getting it
to compile, let me know. It took me quite a while to get it compiling
originally. My problem was the same as yours: devel packages and db3.

You might want to check out the evolution list if you're not already
doing so.

Nathan Owens