Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: gnome-pilot site]]

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 13:57, lsiden wrote:
> Dagmar, I was refering to glibc, not glib.  Go to
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/.  That's the likely place where I got mine
> from.

You're _sure_ now?  It's not going to become libgmp later or something
right?  If that's the case, provided the rest of your system wasn't
compiled against glibc-2.2.x, you should be fine.  glibc-2.3.2 doesn't
seem to be causing any unique problems for anyone that I've been made
aware of (and I'm on the LFS lists, so someone would have found it by
now)  If your system originally had glibc-2.2.x on it and you've
suddenly upgraded it to glibc-2.3.2, I'm suprised you haven't seen more
problems than this.

> Now is it glibc or glib that's causing the problem?   Okay, I see that
> glib is described as low-level routines for GNOME and glibc is described
> similarly, but for GNU.

Glibc is the C library that pretty much everything on the system links
to.  It is the Big Monster that you almost never want to recompile
without Really Good Reasons.

Glib is utterly unrelated to Glibc.  The name similarities are merely a
coincidence.

>   Now I can see from the Portage .ebuild files
> that gnome-pilot depends on libgnome which depends on glib (not glibc).
> Anyway, GP 2.0.10 crashes for me when it syncs the address book, not the
> memo files, so it may be a different issue, but I have a feeling it's
> related b/c everything was working fine before until I updated a bunch
> of other packages that depend on glib.  In a little while I'll try going
> back to glib 2.2.1 to see what happens.

Okay, before I was making the assumption that you were using binary
packages like most of the people posting to here.  Which address book
are you expecting to sync against?  If it's Eaddress from Evolution,
that's one thing (that should work) but if it's the gnome-1.4.x
Gnome-PIM address book entry, that's not likely to work at all (if
ever).

You should probably _not_ downgrade to glib-2.2.1.  You'll just be
adding bugs to the system.  Provided your address book is the Evo
Eaddress one, the more likely solution would be to rebuild Evolution to
get the conduit replaced.