evolution address book conduit issues

I'm running a RedHat 9.0 (sorry, not my choice) box with Ximian
Evolution and Gnome-pilot versions as below.

Configured for USB/9600  I can perform a full backup quite happily (if
slowly) but if I try to use the Evolution address book conduit  to copy
addresses from the Palm (Zire) the conduit appears to hang - always on
the same address.

The Zire reports a dropped connection, the conduit hangs, the daemon
hangs and the applet usually crashes. I have run the daemon from a shell
and get no useful debug, the last message being:

eaddrconduit-Message: add_record: adding ['Doe' 'John' ''] to desktop

When I remove the first hanging address it finds another to hang on, it
does not appear to be related to the content of the hanging address nor
the amount of data transferred.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions?

53 brora% rpmquery -a | grep pilot
gnome-pilot-2.0.10-0.ximian.6.1
pilot-link095-compat-0.9.5-22
gnome-pilot-applet-2.0.10-0.ximian.6.1
gnome-pilot-conduits-2.0.10-0.ximian.6.1
pilot-link-devel-0.11.5-4
gnome-pilot-devel-2.0.10-0.ximian.6.1
pilot-link-0.11.5-4
evolution-pilot-1.4.4-0.ximian.6.1

54 brora% evolution --version
Gnome evolution 1.4.4

55 brora% gpilotd-control-applet --version
Gnome gpilotd-control-applet 2.0.10

56 brora% /usr/libexec/gpilotd --version
gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 2.0.10 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.11.5
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]
Gnome gnome-pilot 2.0.10

57 brora% /usr/libexec/gpilot-applet --version
Gnome Pilot-Applet 0

58 brora% pilot-file --version
   .--------------------------------------------.
   | (c) Copyright 1996-2001, pilot-link team   |
   |    Join the pilot-unix list to contribute. |
   This is pilot-file from pilot-link version 0.11.5
   Build date: Jan 24 2003 14:47:43

   pilot-link 0.11.5 is covered under the GPL/LGPL
   See the file COPYING for more details.

   Please use -h for more detailed options.

--
Charlie Wood