Help! - CLIE NR70 and Evolution - Completely stuck!

Hi everyone,

I am trying to sync my CLIE NR70 (Japanese Version) with Evolution and
while I got some things to work I am stuck. If anyone has an idea what
to do please help!

Here is where I am:

Base configuration:
- Vanilla RH 7.3 with a few additional exotic drivers (prism2_pci,
NVIDIA, ALSA)

1) USB

The RH7.3 kernel module does not identify the NR70 yet. I grabbed the
patch from a web page and generated a new visor.o works fine:

--
Jun  8 23:49:21 gadshome kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on
bus1/1, assigned device number 24

in case anyone doesn't want to re-compile the kernel, this version of
visor.o works with the CLIE and the standard Redhat 7.3 kernel:

  http://www.appenzeller.net/~appenz/visor.o

Simply copy into  /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ and
add "insmod visor" somewhere in rc.d (eg. in rc.local).

2) pilot-link 10.99

Compiles and installs without problems. Backing up the CLIE with "xfer
-b .Clie" works perfectly but speed is somewhat slow (about 30 kBit/s).
PILOTRATE seems to have no effect whatsoever on the transfer speed.

3) Gnome-Pilot and Conduits

I grabbed version 1.65 from Ximian and patched it with the
primates.ximian.com patch. Getting it to compile was difficult. I had to
add several include files (e.g. dirent.h) and gave up on the expense and
mal (AvantGo) circuits. Everything else now compiles fine.

It also reports the pilot-link version as ".." but this seems to be
fine.

Running gnome pilot seems (?) to work, however it aborts complaining
that no user matches this palm device - fair enough.

Configuring the patched gnome pilot 1.65 through gnomecc fails. The
error is:can't start gpilot-control-applet (aborting). The Palm no
longer appears in the tree browser on the left side.

4) Evolution

Nothing works. It attempts to start gpilot-control-applet which aborts.

Has anyone any idea what to do? I guess recompiling Evolution would be
an option but is that really necessary? I am not exactly looking forward
to it and might just stick to Windows for a few more months.

Please help!

  Guido