Re: Handspring

> I assume that I did not compile the proper support into the Kernel or
> should there be a daemon that needs to be running? Are there any specific
> protocols that need to be compiled into the kernel to support USB?

	There's a few bits you'll need, depending on your USB controller in
your machine. I always compile usbcore as monolithic, and *EVERYTHING* else
that I need as a module, for several reasons, the least of which is that I
can unload, recompile, and reload the module without rebooting.

	 You'll need at least the following in your kernel, which will give
you the necessary usbserial.o, visor.o, usb-uhci.o (or usb-ohci.o, depending
on your controller, UHCI is the more popular one):

	CONFIG_USB=y
	CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y
	CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
	CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m
	CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=m
	CONFIG_USB_OHCI=m
	CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
	CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y
	CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_VISOR=m

	Once that is done, mount the usbdevfs (which is completely unrelated
to devfs, it just got a bad name, and is being renamed in 2.5 to usbfs). You
can do that with the following:

	mount -t usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

	That will give you access to /proc/bus/usb/devices, when you hit
HotSync. If you do a 'cat /proc/bus/usb/devices' after hitting HotSync on
the cradle, you should see the Palm device registered there.

	Remember, cradling the Palm does not create the device, nor does it
"connect" it to the desktop. You have to make a physical, electrical
connection from Palm to cradle via the HotSync button, which then will wake
up usbcore to create the proper entries in /dev and /proc.

	If you get that far, you can see in /var/log/messages, a blurb about
the Palm connecting. Hit the HotSync button on the cradle, and gpilotd
should wake up and do it's work.

	Let us know if you get up to this point. I have some information
similar to this in my "Palm ppp HOWTO", which goes over the details of
getting USB working to connect Palm to desktop. It may be useful to you:

	http://pilot-link.org/howto/ppp/index.html#usbconfig

	Good luck!

/d