RE: How do i access a file with *.tar on the end?

If you are running GNU tar you can extract a gzipped tarball in one swell
foop with the command 'tar xzvf tarball.tar.gz'.  For bzipped tarballs you
can either use the -I switch (depends on which version of tar you're using,
also may be a build-time option) or use the piped command 'bzcat
tarball.tar.bz2 | tar -xv'.

The second command will also work with non-GNU tar.

HTH,
Ian