Re: [newbie] Pilot<->Gnomecal

Ewan Birney said:

> I bet this is a FAQ but I can't find anything helpful on the gnome site.
> (Where should I be looking?)
>

> I have a reasonably standard redhat 7 set up. I have a palm. What I am
> aiming for is easy managment of my calendar from both desktop and palm.
>

> Installing gnome-pilot and gnomecal from rpm's (or preinstalled) was fine.
>
> Syncing took a while but then I realised that the rw permissions on
> /dev/ttyS1 needed to be set.
>

> Synchronising works fine for Files (backup) which is good.
>

> I can't seem to synchronise my gnomecal and/or pilot. I am running
>
> [birney riker birney]$ gnomecal --version
> Gnome calendar 1.2.0
> [birney riker birney]$
> [birney riker birney]$
> [birney riker birney]$ gpilotd --version
> gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 0.1.55 starting...
> gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.9.5
> gpilotd-Message: Using GOAD
> Gnome gnome-pilot 0.1.55
> [birney riker birney]$
>
> There is nothing on gnomecal that looks like "import from Palm" or
> "sync" and going through a hotsync (either button press on the cradle
> and/or intiated from the gnomecc) seems to do anything...
>

> Is it possible to synchronise these to things. It probably is (and it is
> probably easy right!)
>

> What am I doing wrong?

I've been having similar problems.  I installed an alternate to pilot-link
called coldsync.  The problem for me appears to be bad checksums coming from
the address on my pilot (this is with either a calendar installed, or if I
delete all the calendar stuff, even a complete reset).  Don't know where the
fix is for this, pilot-link/coldsync or the serial stuff in Linux.

Hope this helps trace the problems.

jeff
thought for the day:  "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it,
doesn't go away".
		-- Philip K. Dick