Getting the Sync to stay up...

I am running the POSE palm Emulator on a Unix platform. I am using
pilotlink to Sync the emulator and have managed to successfully get the
connection established... (with much help form this mailing list,
Thank-you). The problem that I'm having is that the connection crashes. If
I try to perform a backup (for example) the process hangs half way, and
stops. No files are written in this process although according message
they should have, and the emulator becomes useless (ie. it freezes and
basically need to be killed manually). Has anyone experienced similar
problems and/or managed to fix them or at least circumvent them?

Christopher Peery