Re: iPaq acting like a Palm to sync wth pilot-link??

From: Erik Bågfors <erik bagfors nu>
To: gnome-pilot-list gnome org
Subject: Re: iPaq acting like a Palm to sync wth pilot-link??
Date: 04 Dec 2001 13:17:50 +0100

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 13:00, Ahmad Baitalmal wrote:
> Hi,
> I used pilot-link with a palm III and it worked great. I'm trying to find a
> way to sync my iPaq to the same data using pilot-link.
>
> The idea is that I would build some serial communication app that interacts
> with pilot-link as if it were a palm pilot.
> I'm not woried about the iPaq side, I guess what I'm really looking for is a
> simple pointer to "Where can I find the protocol documentation?" for the
> syncing process.

I'd recommend creating a new software for syncing.  What pim-apps are
you using on the ipaq??  If you are using wince you should look at
http://synce.sourceforge.net/.

I'm still using WinCE 3.0 (PocketPC). Many corp users have custom apps already built for WinCE so dumping it for PocketLinux for example is not a viable option for now.

If you are running linux on your ipaq this might be interesting.

I just created a evolution-addressbook-export-hack that will export your
evolution addressbook into a xml-formated file that is suitable for the
qpe-addressbook.  It works quite well but it is no syncing.. just
export.  I'm working on doing the same thing with the calendar. It
shouldn't be too hard to do real syncing either.

This is another idea I was thinking about, keep a win32 mahcine running outlook and let it sync with iPaq normally. What I would do it do a sync outlook and evolution using file based manipulation of evolution and a vb app on windows that does the sync with evolution every 1 min or so.

OR

Have evolution and outlook sync with a shared resource (web page, database, SOAP calls).

These two solution require that you keep Outlook in the loop to enable communication with the iPaq. Not a very attractive deal.

The real deal would be to plug a serial cable into the iPaq, run some app to sync just like a Palm device. And pilot-link or what ever end point thinks it's actually talking to a Palm device.

It shouldn't be TOO hard because you can do simple serial communication with the iPaq easily. It just walks an walk and talks the talk and we would enable MANY iPaq owners out there to dump outlook and start using evolution.

After that, enable file transfer and you can completely drop the Windows machine :)

But one step at a time. SynCE is very ambitious but it's too complicated for what I need to do.

> Yes I know someone is building a palm os emulator for the ipaq, but that's
> overkill. I just want to sync pim data. All I want is the Protocol
> Documentation to build an application that pilot-link would think is a real
> palm device and interact with.
>
> Any info on where to start would be much appreciated, I've looked everywhere
> for a straight answer :)

If you really want to create a "palm-sync-emulation", the pilot-link
sources is a good start :)

I guess it is the place to start.. Thank you,

/Erik
--
Erik Bågfors               | erik bagfors nu
Supporter of free software | GSM +46 733 279 273