RE: How do I access my palm?

The route I found most easy and intuitive was to use both "jpilot" as a
replacement for the Palm desktop and "pilot-xfer" for day-to-day installation
of new programs and full backups/restores.  The backup/restore and sync
functions are well handled by "jpilot" though.

gnome-pilotd integrates the syncing with your gnome calendar, etc. but I found
the setup and use less intuitive than jpilot.

The pilot-xfer application is part of the pilot-link package.. Look here for
more info:
 http://www.gnu-designs.com/pilot-link/