Problems with CVS gnome-pilot

Hi all,

I can't figure this out. I have had previous versions of gnome-pilot working
great.

1) I downloaded the latest pilot-link and installed it.
2) Downloaded the CVS gnome-pilot as of yesterday and (with the addition
of -lcapplet and -lpanel_applet on one file) compiled and installed it.

Control centre, walked through the setup druid, retrieved the sync id. Ok.
Clicked on the conduits. Enabled one of them (backup conduit). It doesn't
matter which one I enable, I tried a few selectively and they all fail as
follows:

Press sync. gpilotd is happy:
gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: timeout was 2 secs
gpilotd-Message: Woke on Cradle
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=57600
gpilotd-Message: Cradle Cradle has 0 events
gpilotd-Message: Instantiating 1 conduits...

Instantiate the conduit. I get a segfault. I did some gdb and strace and
some debug statements, and this is what's going on:

backup_conduit.c, function load_configuration:
The ConduitCfg struct is getting filled in here with gnome_config settings.
In particular, gnome_config_get_string("backup_dir") is NULL, so the
ensuing opendir call fails.

Why is it null? Thinking there was just a problem upgrading from the previous
version, I totally removed my whole .gnome directory and started fresh, with
exactly the same results.

Anyone else seeing this or know why it's happening?

james