pilot-xfer failing

I've never been able to get my palm to synch correctly.   After
synchronizing several DB's, I get a "weird packet" error message and
everything stops. The problem is not that there are weird packet errors
but that, after it gets on eof them, pilot-xfer stops instead of trying
to handle it. Worse, it somehow tells the Palm that the synch has been
sucessfully completed; the pilot prints a synch sucessful message.  To
the user, it looks like everything's OK, when in fact, the backup has
failed.

I know that my hardware is OK because synch works every time when I boot
to Win98.

Here's the bug report:

>         1. version of the tool you are using (*NOT* the package
>            version, but the version the tool itself reports, i.e.
>            'pilot-xfer --version', not 'rpm -qa | grep pilot-link' or
>            'dpkg -l | grep pilot-link'

0.9.5-pre3

>         2. I will need to know your command arguments ('pilot-xfer -p
>            /dev/usb/bus/0 -b .' for example)

pilot-xfer -s tmp.pilot

>         3. Your port settings (setserial -a will tell you that)

setserial -a
setserial Version 2.15

usage:	 setserial serial-device -abqvVWz [cmd1 [arg]] ...
	 setserial -g [-abGv] device1 ...

Available commands: (* = Takes an argument)
		(^ = can be preceded by a '^' to turn off the option)
	* port		set the I/O port
	* irq		set the interrupt
	* uart		set UART type (none, 8250, 16450, 16550, 16550A,
			16650, 16650V2, 16750)
	* baud_base	set base baud rate (CLOCK_FREQ / 16)
	* divisor	set the custom divisor (see spd_custom)
	* close_delay	set the amount of time (in 1/100 of a
				second) that DTR should be kept low
				while being closed
	* closing_wait	set the amount of time (in 1/100 of a
				second) that the serial port should wait for
				data to be drained while being closed,
				before the reciver is disabled
	* closing_wait2	set the amount of time (in 1/100 of a
				second) that the serial port should wait for
				data to be drained while being closed,
				after the reciver is disabled
	^ fourport	configure the port as an AST Fourport
	  autoconfig	automatically configure the serial port
	^ auto_irq	try to determine irq during autoconfiguration
	^ skip_test	skip UART test during autoconfiguration

	^ sak		set the break key as the Secure Attention Key
	^ session_lockout Lock out callout port across different sessions
	^ pgrp_lockout	Lock out callout port across different process groups
	^ callout_nohup	Don't hangup the tty when carrier detect drops
				 on the callout device
	^ split_termios Use separate termios for callout and dailin lines
	^ hup_notify	Notify a process blocked on opening a dial in line
				when a process has finished using a callout
				line by returning EAGAIN to the open.
	^ low_latency	Minimize receive latency at the cost of greater
				CPU utilization.
	  get_multiport	Display the multiport configuration
	  set_multiport	Set the multiport configuration

	* rx_trigger	Set RX trigger level
	* tx_trigger	Set TX trigger level
	* flow_off	Set hardware flow off level
	* flow_on	Set hardware flow on level
	* rx_timeout	Set receive timeout
	* dma_channel	Set DMA channel
	  spd_hi	use 56kb instead of 38.4kb
	  spd_vhi	use 115kb instead of 38.4kb
	  spd_cust	use the custom divisor to set the speed at 38.4kb
				(baud rate = baud_base / custom_divisor)
	  spd_normal	use 38.4kb when a buad rate of 38.4kb is selected

Use a leading '0x' for hex numbers.
CAUTION: Using an invalid port can lock up your machine!

>         4. Your Palm unit (Visor? Clie? Palm? TRG? Sony?)

Palm IIIx

>         5. PalmOS version on that unit (3.1? 3.3? 3.5.2?)

3.3

>         6. A list of any hacks you are running at sync time (such as
>            AfterBurner)

Problem occurs when hacks are all turned off.

>         7. The exact error you get (an accompanying backtrace makes it
>            much easier to figure out).

 pilot-xfer -s tmp.pilot

   ---o-o---  The Palm name and logo are copyright Palm Computing, Inc.
   ---o--o--  and subsidiaries. All rights reserved.
   ---o-o---
   ---o-----  This is pilot-xfer from pilot-link version 0.9.5-pre3
   ---o-----
   ---o-----  pilot-link 0.9.5-pre3 is covered under the GPL
              See the file COPYING for more details.

   Port: /dev/pilot

   Please press the HotSync button now...
Connected...
Backing up 'tmp.pilot/StateDatabaseMapopolis.pdb'... OK
Backing up 'tmp.pilot/IBPlug ToDo.prc'... OK
< about 40 sucess lines deleted >
Backing up 'tmp.pilot/JShopperDB.pdb'... Weird packet
Weird packet
Failed, unable to back up database
Weird packet
RAM backup done.
Weird packet
Weird packet

>         8. Your platform (Intel? PPC?) and chipset (PII? P4? M68k?)

Compaq Presario 1800T, Pentium III, 450MHhz

>         9. What version of the OS you are running (BSD? Linux?), which
>            should include the kernel you are running on the box (2.2?
>            2.4?).

Stock Redhat 6.2