gnome-pilot stopped working

[ Cross-posted to gnome-pilot-list and pilot-unix ]

Greetings --

Earlier this week, I upgraded to kernel 2.4.0-test10. From reading
various sorts of documentation on the web, I finally got gnome-pilot
based syncing to work with my Visor/USB cradle combination --
previously, I'd been using a rather kludgey method involving tailing
syslog (to watch for the USB device showing up) and jPilot (for the
sync).

All was good, for about two days, when sync'ing stopped working. Of
course, Nothing Had Changed On My End. 8^)=

Since then, I've rebuilt the kernel a time or two, tried analyzing
the gpilotd output as described on the gnome-pilot site, threatened
the computer and the USB cradle with various forms of punishment, and
promised them special rewards if they Just Start Syncing! None of
this has gotten me anywhere, really, so now I'm here, appealing to you
folks.

Basically, I'm not even sure where to start looking for how to fix the
problem; nor am I sure what sort of information I need to give people
here in order for you to help me out. I've put some stuff below that
seems pertinent to me; please let me know if there's anything else I
should mention.

System: Debian unstable/woody with Helixcode Gnome packages. Fully
apt-get dist-upgraded, with 2.4.0-test10 kernel.

using uhci.o instead of usb-uhci.o, and it makes no difference.)

Using the linux-usb /etc/usb/rc.usb script, called from
/etc/init.d/mountall.sh (after the mount -a call). Not using the USBD
approach, but rather the static module loading one. /proc/bus/usb does
exist; contents of /proc/bus/usb/devices and /proc/bus/usb/drivers
available on request.

gpilotd appears to be starting up okay. Output to console is basically
some startup and initialization messages, then nothing happens when I
push the button on the cradle.

In fact, that seems to be basically the whole problem: when I push the
button on the cradle, *nothing* happens. gpilotd doesn't notice,
nothing in /proc/bus/usb changes, no messages go to syslog, etc.

Oh, and I'm sure the Visor is okay, because I'm able to sync with a
serial cradle on my Mac at work.

Any and all pointers gratefully received; thanks in advance,

john.

- --
           [ John S Jacobs Anderson ]------><URL:mailto:jacobs genehack org>
[ Genehack: Not your daddy's weblog ]------><URL:http://genehack.org>