Re: 0.1.54

Hi!

> Yeah, flashrom upgrades are spooky, byt it survived.

Well, I wouldn't do a flashrom upgrade via IrDA, I prefer to use
something like a serial port, which has been around a bit longer than
IrDA :-)

> I've also fiddled with the irport, and it definitely looks like the ir port
> on
> my laptop is not just a decorative piece of plastic.

Good.

> But I have still not been successfull in getting it to work.
>
> Basically, I load irda, irport, ircomm, ircomm-tty and irlan.
> I then run "irmanager -d /dev/ttyS1" which responds with
> IrDA: Unable to find requested dongle. ttyS1 shows up in
> dmesg, should I use a non-existing ttyS (2) ?
> Then I run "irattach /dev/ttyS1 -s".

I believe that irport and irlan are not necessary for what we need
(what we want to do is to replace a standard serial port with an IrDA
link). I can't check later the actual modules that are really needed.

I don't know why irmanager thinks that /dev/ttyS1 is a dongle. Since
you are using the internal IrDA port of your notebook you definitely
don't need to compile your kernel with any support for dongles. Does
that -d switch for irmanager stand for "device" or for "dongle"? (my
laptop is at home now so I can't check.)

It is normal that the kernel detects your IrDA port as a serial port,
and that is the port you should be using, and not a non-existing
ttyS.

The other important thing to know is that the device you specify to do
the IrDA "serial" port operations is not ttyS1 but /dev/ircomm
(because you are using the IrCOMM protocol.)

Cheers,

Eloy.-