Battery power matters?

I just observed something weird, that I can't really explain. My
batteries were running out, but I was ignoring the message, knowing it
could go for a bit more. I tried to sync with gnome-pilot and
couldn't.  gpilotd  wasn't waking up on the sync request. Since I've
been changing things, I thought I broke something. I then tried
PilotManager and that worked. I went back to gnome-pilot and it didn't
work. I then changed the batteries and it started working
immediately. So does the battery power matter? And if yes, why
PilotManager worked? What does it do differently?

-Vadim