License problem with Re: AvantGo

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Vadim Strizhevsky wrote:

> Acording to him, (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/netscape-npl.html) the
> GPL and MPL/NPL are _not_ compatible.

MAL appears to be under MPL, not NPL (only now I realize they're not the
same). According to the link you sent, we can make additions to MAL, place
them in a seperate file and GPL that file and still be okay wrt MPL.

So it would be the number 3 issue that would be a problem, that linking
MPL'ed code into a GPL'ed would violate the GPL. So basically we would not
violate MAL's MPL, but gnome-pilots GPL. And we would have to link with
gnome-pilot to make it a gnome-conduit (seems any sort of linking is
prohibited).

Gah, I'm so close to making a EPL, the Eskil Public License. 1 paragraph
"Do with this code only as Eskil would have done!"

> the last thing I'm going to say on the licensing subject, which I
> always find leaving a foul taste in my mouth. I'm just here to code...

Yah, license issues suck. I'm going to see if perhaps AvantGo could be
persuaded to alter the license, otherwise we could 1) ignore the license
issue and be good coders and just hack on or 2) reimplement using the
stuff on www.mobilelink.org. If its a "open industry standard", there must
be techspecs enough to do it or we'll just look into their code.

/dev/eskil