Re: panel applet and gpilotd-fileman

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Vadim Strizhevsky wrote:

> What's the story with gpilotd-fileman and panel applet? Is
> gpilotd-fileman deprecated? I never actually noticed it before today

Yes, it was part of the first pieces of code in gnome-pilot, we're talking
early 1998 here. Think it was supposed to simply be a file installer for
the Pilot, Manish wrote it.

The at that point, I wrote the first pilot_applet, see
http://www.eskil.dk/pilot_applet.html for historically amusement.

Manish saw it, and we teamed up on writing a killer gnome pilot
thingbot.... 3 months later we were still discussing and finally came to
some sort of consensus. A few days later, the first gpilotd came along. It
didn't interact with the applet or gpilotd-fileman yet, not until gpilotd
had corba support (later in 1998).

As the applet got dnd, and Manish sort of dissappeared (teaching at
Princeton, last I heard), gpilotd-fileman sort of died.

> when I was playing with panel_applet (and very cool drag-n-drop of
> files to it :-) and was getting anoyed with constant coredump when I
> click on the applet. I traced it down to it trying to fork off the

Yearh, bug #3133, is replacing the fork/exec with gnome_execute code.

/dev/eskil