Re: pilot-link-version

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Erik Bagfors wrote:

> >From what I understand you are using an old version of pilot-link because it
> has a conduit framework that you are using.  This framework was made by
> Kenneth Albanowski I think.  He also removed it because it was no good.

Mja, more or less. The reason the version is old, is that we added code
when the 0.8.13 release was actual. Since the the 0.9.x series came.
Patches was sent to Albanowski, but apparently wasn't added, we'll try
again.

There is currently a version 0.9.3 avaiable, and in
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-pilot/download/ you can find a tar.gz version
of 0.9.3 with our additions.

As we deduced from the source, one of the reasons the framework was
removed (in addition to Albanowski thinking it wasn't good enough), was a
paraphrase issue with 3Com (which we aren't subject to (we hope)).

As for the soundness of the framework, we don't know. It didn't look
like it was ever tried (since it was never completed afaik).

I've implemented a memoconduit for the framework, and it seemed ok. But
I'm still hoping for someone soon to get their hands dirty at trying to
implement a calendar/email/address conduit using that framework. (about 8
people have said they'll do a calendar conduit, still nothing...). And
hoping that while doing that task, they can say whether or not the
framework is ok.

In addition to that, a conduit does not have to use the framework, it is
only there as a help. Any conduit may use pilot-links dlp interface to
directly interact with the palm device. As so, you can do your own
framework, add to the project and people can have all three possibilities.

Hope that clears the issues.

/dev/eskil