Re: Palm Pilot/Gnome Card/Gnome Calender

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Trever Adams wrote:

> 	My questions are these:  Gnome Calendar -- does it journal changes
> (including deletions)?  Gnome Card -- same question!  Has anyone hacked

Nope. The conduit api is more or less ready (in "less" I mean that noone
except me has really used, so it will probably have some shortcommings).
And it will also require (not require, but it is BestWay<tm>) that
gnomecal
and gnomecard support corba modification of records, as opposed to
directly writing the files. gnome-pim has an idl file for at least
gnome-card.

> a pilot sync (where you just press that button on the cradle and it
> starts to sync things up)?  Has anyone done any preliminary work so

Yup, the current gnome-pilot (current=cvs) can do this. A corbafied daemon
is spawned and listens to one or more ports, and can handle one or more
pilots. The default way of using is, setting it up via the gnomecc
capplet, defining the port of your cradle, retrieving (or setting) user
info from/to your pilot, and then spawn the panel applet.

It additionally requires manually writing a file specifying which conduits
to run - work is in progress in this area.

The applet supperts DND for installing new prc/pdb files to the pilot, and
indicates when the pilot is synchronizing. There is still unresolvd issues
reg. crash of the daemon and reconnection with the panel_applet. However,
most work is being done in a forked version, thus the occasional crash is
seldom in the MotherDaemon<tm>.

> individual apps can sync?  Are there any docs/plans/ideas on how to go
> about doing this with the more simple programs such as calendar and
> card?

Yes, the daemon api has a method for requesting a specific conduit being
run on next sync (and nothing else). The daemon does not support this
yet however.

> 	I ask because I do want this done.  When I have a moment and get to
> learn gnome/gtk etc. a little more, I want to help out as well.  Please
> cc me in all responses.

Thats great, afaik They<tm> are looking at rewriting gnomecard. Having
gnomecal and gnomecard corbafied would be a good step on the way,
thereafter having somebody with knowledge on vCal and vCard issues working
with somebody knowing conduits should do the trick.

/dev/eskil