Re: Introducing myself, Who needs help?

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 13:49 -0400, Michael Steinfeld wrote:
> Hi, I just subscribed because I want to offer my services. I am much
> better at following suit than leading the pack. You can review my
> resume at
> http://www.poordog.net/resume.php
>
> I would prefer to contribute OS X related packages.. however tell me
> what needs to be done and I'm on my way regardless of OS.

A quick way of getting started would be to grab the latest version of
GARNOME or jhbuild and see if GNOME will build on OS X. Once you iron
out the build issues then you can start down the path of creating OS X
packages.

http://cipherfunk.org/garnome/
http://www.jamesh.id.au/software/jhbuild/

A nice approach would be to try and create an easy to use script (either
a patch to one of the existing build scripts or a stand alone one) to
ease the build. This makes it much easier for people to maintain over
time. The biggest hurdle is the maintenance of the packages (bandwidth
costs/updating pkgs/etc.) But if there is a script/howto that eases this
then the next person who comes along won't have to start from scratch.

We also need help creating a RPM/DEB build system/script too. :)

Bob

--
Bob Kashani
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~bobk/garnome