Re: Sorting out the prerequisites: Package names

On 8/15/05, Christian Lohmaier <cloph cup uni-muenchen de> wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> a while ago I asked for help in creating a list of official package
> names to be used for RPM-packages (so that requires can be set properly
> and that the packagenames don't conflict with older/other versions that
> can be installed along with the package).
>
> For this I created a wiki-page on live.gnome.org - but unfortunately
> nobody did jump in :-(
>
> So here again I ask for feedback/contribution/discussion.
> http://live.gnome.org/PackagingProject/PackageNames

Christian-
I did not respond earlier because, frankly, I don't think that
'universal' package names make sense- in general, the goal (IMHO)
should be to write packages that work well on specific distro (i.e.,
match each distro's own naming scheme), not something that works
equally poorly across all distros.

That said, this was all very hypothetical until recently- if Mark is
giving us a way to easily build multi-distro packags, then
multi-distro naming is a problem we need to solve, while per-distro
naming is not, unfortunately, a problem we actually have. So we should
probably, uh, go ahead and solve it :)

Luis