Re: Where to put spec files...

On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 03:19, R.I.P. Deaddog wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking about this, and I think that I'd like to move the
> > .spec files, and debian/ dirs, and Solaris/slackware packaging stuff out
> > of the main directory for -all- modules.  Since 99% of the time, the
> > people maintaining the code aren't the same people maintaining the .spec
> > files, it doesn't really belong "in with the code".  Having it in the
>
> Yes, I agree completely with this. Seperating the packaging stuff in
> this case doesn't mean adding too much admin cost, if the packaging
> files are maintained by 3rd party instead.
>
> > top directory, named only for the package name is somewhat unfriendly to
> > SuSE and other RPM based distributions.  So, the solution that I think
> > will probably work best, is to create a subdirectory called "packaging/"
> > (suggestions on the name most welcome!).  Inside of this directory, we
> > can put, for example, redhat-gnome-core.spec.in,
> > suse-gnome-core.spec.in, debian/, and whatever else we might need, for
> > any other Solaris/Slackware/Irix/other packages.  Thoughts?
>
> For this, I'd suggest adding subdir under packaging/, such as
> "packaging/redhat/", "packaging/debian/" etc. This way each distribution
> or OS can maintain it's own naming convention of packaging stuff too.

Do you mean something like packaging/redhat/gnome-core.spec, and
packaging/suse/gcore.spec?  If so, I'm not sure we need to do that.  It
will mean a whole bunch more directories with probably just one file in
each.  That's a fair bit of overhead for what seems like small gain to
me.  Are there other files that might need to go into those
directories?  I don't have an issue with doing this for things like the
debian packaging information, since they've got like 15 files in there
to do what one file does for everybody else.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.