Re: spec file maintencehey

On 24 Jul 2001 06:53:15 -0400, Zach Frey wrote:

> Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>
> >Hi again!  I've been doing some serious hacking on the spec files, and I
> >think the ones that I have are in pretty decent shape.  There are a
> >whole bunch of these, and clearly I haven't got enough time to work on
> >all of them all the time.  What I'd like is get some volunteers to do
> >the following:
> >1. Pick a module to work on.
> >2. Get the spec file for that module from
> >ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/plain-GNOME/SPECS/
> >3. Get that module from CVS (anonymous or otherwise, it won't matter).
> >4. Compare the plain-GNOME spec file with the one in CVS, and "merge"
> >the plain-GNOME changes into the one in CVS.
> >5. Create a patch that will apply cleanly to CVS.
> >6. submit the patch via bugzilla, and cc me on that.
>

> Is the ultimate intent that the "plain GNOME" .spec files will be
> maintained in
> each module's CVS directory?  I had gotten the impression that this was the
> point of the plain-gnome directory in CVS.  Has Miguel finally gotten
> over his
> allergy to having .spec files in the module CVS?

Well, I think that putting .spec files, and debian directories, and
other packaging "meta files" into CVS is the best way to go.  I'm still
a bit torn on how exactly we should be going about this.  (I've got
another mail about that in my queue, let me dig it out).
As for this Miguel character's allergy to having .spec files in cvs...
I think (although I've not spoken with him) the problem was that the
spec files weren't very generic, and that nobody was maintaining them.
Since we'll hopefully be making very generic/portable spec files, and
we'll be keeping them up-to-date, I don't think there should be much
opposition.

> Also, what's the relationship between your plain-GNOME ftp site and the
> plain-gnome
> CVS module?

Well, the CVS module is sort of where I started from, with a few changes
that Maciej made.  I haven't done anything at all with it, as I've been
debating the best way to handle things.

> >Some of these could be fleshed out a bit more than I've done here, with
> >specific instructions on how to create patches and such, if somebody
> >wanted to do that.  So, who's going to volunteer to do some of these?
> >

> Not volunteering yet, I need to clean my basement enough to have room to
> set up
> the Linux box ... :(

Well, enjoy cleaning!  Later,
	Greg