Re: here i come !

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 18:59, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > * using ALSA ! OSS might be very good, but ALSA is the way to go, as it
> > would mean we wouldn't need a sound server if all apps needing sound
> > were to use native ALSA. A patch to libgnome, the correct versions of
> > most libraries/packages (like SDL for example) and we're done. It also
> > supports more soundcards than OSS/free
>
> Lets avoid the "gee whiz" phenomenum and focus on user problems that we
> need to solve. So the user problem is "support more sound cards". The
> buest solution to that, to me, looks like using Alsa if it supports the
> card and then OSS if it does not.

Hmm.  I disagree.  If we are going to do our own OS, that means
we can set up ALSA the right way every time, which means we
load OSS emulation and the programs that are OSS-only don't
need to be ported in order to work with gnome-os.

ALSA has a vastly superior API and feature set and it is only
a matter of time before applications that take advantage of
these features become available.  If we support ALSA be default,
we'll be able to promote the development of ALSA applications
and thus improve the user experience.

I'm not aware of hardware that is only supported by OSS.
Do you know of any?  What sort of market share do these
unsupported cards have?

	Miles