Re: here i come !

<quote who="Bastien Nocera">

> * sudo integration for administration (Apple does it very very well)

Necessary, but should be nicely hidden like OS X's.

> * hardware integration (this is going to be very hard for x86 users ;)
> the default setup should behave well, be it on a laptop or a desktop,
> and having nice defaults is cool.

Hard, but interesting. ;-)

> * using ALSA ! OSS might be very good, but ALSA is the way to go, as it
> would mean we wouldn't need a sound server if all apps needing sound
> were to use native ALSA. A patch to libgnome, the correct versions of
> most libraries/packages (like SDL for example) and we're done. It also
> supports more soundcards than OSS/free

Yeah, good call.

> * Easy "sharing" setup: ssh, samba, appletalk, http, and ftp. All
> optional, all already configured with nice defaults, and a simple GUI
> that says "Click here to start sharing". (yeah, just like MacOS X) This
> is a week-end's work with the Debian infrastructure.
> That's something that's very easy to do, and it would definetely give us
> an edge.

User-defined sharing is hard. Got any cool ideas on that?

> * use of devfs, murasaki for hotplug, choice between ext2 and ext3, etc.
> (this might be a little too low-level for this discussion i must admit).
> * Using the XST could make sense, for the boot-loader configuration for
> example, as different archs will use different bootloaders.

Yeah, these are mostly things that the user should never have to choose. We
simply shouldn't offer a choice of filesystems or partition layout, it
should just be sane. :-)

[ Perhaps there should be a sekrit advanced installation thingy that you can
get to via essentially an easter egg. ]

> * GUI hacking on apps that we need. I'm thinking GPA for GPG
> configuration, which looks like arse, but does what we would want.

GPG might be at the tail end of stuff we need to do. ;-)

> * Gnome architectural improvements: password manager, decent file
> selector, etc.
> If you're not already, you could subscribe to Apple's weekly developer
> newsletter which shows you what can be done with their APIs. We won't
> get as much integration, but it show how much the OS infrastucture
> should help the developer.

Oh, nice.

- Jeff

--
   "Anyone getting 1 Gigabit/sec for $20 is tele-commuting from the year
                           2217..." - Paul Haddon