Re: Initial ideas on portals for file access

On 03/10/2015 01:18 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure the "Save" name is ideal. What it really is is "here
is a new version of the file contents". Maybe something like
ReplaceContents() is better. That said, do we really want applications
to start saving to files automatically all the time, even without
triggering a save operation? I think a lot of people may be surprised by
that behaviour. And if so, how often do we save them? We can't save all
the time, that would be pretty poor performance.

This is not much of an issue when integrated with a system that can
track changes to a file. I think some other operating systems did this
in both the past and present. (OpenVMS for example).

-- Christian