Re: xdg-app discussions at the GNOME DX hackfest

Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
I would say that the logic should be exactly the opposite

I did say: "At the very least, careful thought needs to be given to
the implications of xdg-app for sandboxing, before the former is
released into the wild."

It seems important to examine how xdg-app and sandboxing will work together.

I don't think we
can realistically provide all the hooks that most apps need all at once and
delaying widespread adoption of bundles because of that seems like a net
lose. We want people using the bundling mechanism ASAP so that we can start
getting them into the toolchain, then we can learn what kind of tooling is
missing to get them to "upgrade" into sandboxing.

I think that somewhat depends on how you envisage making xdg-app
initially available: ie, whether initial releases will be marked as
experimental or previews, and what kind of stability guarantees will
be provided for runtimes. One of the primary goals of xdg-app is to
provide a stable application development and deployment platform,
after all. It would be a shame to give the framework a bad name
because we didn't manage expectations.

There is also a serious question about how packaged and bundled
applications could sanely coexist on the same system.

Allan