Re: Sandbox thoughts

Andy Lutomirski <luto amacapital net> writes:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2015-02-17 at 13:23 -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

 - setuid / privileged helper.  Why do you need a privileged helper?
You should be able to do all of this using user namespaces.  The
Sandstorm code linked above does exactly this.

I tried this a bit, but i ran into two snags i don't understand.

First of all, as uid/gid 1000 i can put "1000 1000 1"
in /proc/self/uid_map from the child. However, i cannot put "1000 1000
1" into gid_map, as i get EPERM.
I don't understand this, is this not supposed to work?

You need newer manpages :-/  Try the attached variant.

Yeah.  You need to disable setgroups for that to work.

Secondly, i'm failing to mount another instance of devpts. It fails with
EINVAL.

Hmm.  Off the top of my head, there's no good reason that devpts with
the newinstance option couldn't be allowed in a userns.  Eric, any
thoughts here?  The patch would be straightforward.

Looking at the code you have to have uid 0 and gid 0 mapped and you have
to specify newinstance.  But devepts is mountable without being the
global root user.

The restriction of having uid 0 and gid 0 mapped is just that /dev/ptmx is
and has alwasy been owned by root and so mknod_ptmx just won't let you
create a device inode as with a uid or gid you can't map.

Eric