Re: storing appdata in repos

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 12:12 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

Therefore, I've changed the approach to instead check both the xml and
the icons into a branch with a fixed name. The code for that is here:

https://github.com/matthiasclasen/xdg-app/commits/wip/appstream

With this approach, gnome-software can simply pull this ref and get
all it needs.

It sounds reasonable to me.

And maybe more importantly, incremental updates to this
data can take advantage of any delta download improvements ostree
comes up with, as opposed to the Fedora approach, where we re-download
everything every time a single icon changes.

The ostree deltas (rollsums/bsdiff) should do fine on XML, assuming it's
sorted/canonicalized and uncompressed.

Screenshots are not included in this, and we would continue to treat
them as separately downloaded items.

Right.