Re: How do we store/install apps?

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 02:38:44PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
On fre, 2014-10-10 at 14:26 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
On fre, 2014-10-10 at 05:10 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 01:52:05PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
* Don't pass untrusted data to the kernel. For instance, it is risky
  to download raw filesystem data and then mount that, or mount a
  loopback file that the user can modify. The raw filesystem data is
  directly parsed by the kernel and weird data there can cause kernel
  panics.

If that happens, the kernel is doing something wrong, and needs to be
fixed :)

Seriously, if you know of any such bugs, please let the kernel
developers know and they will be fixed, just like we've fixed this same
type of bug many many times in the past.

So don't worry too much about this one, it shouldn't be an issue.

Sure, it *should* not happen. But empirically it does. For instance
there was this recent mail:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-October/203101.html

Where light fuzzing of a btrfs filesystem caused pretty bad behaviour in
many cases. I also know people who had similar issues with btrfs on
usbdisks that where bad.

That's not good, and needs to be fixed in btrfs anyway, as any user can
mount a btrfs filesystem on a USB disk with no additional permissions
needed.

Can you imagine instead of random fuzzying someone was actively trying
to attach the kernel code by creating creative invalid file systems.
These codepaths are *not* well tested or reviewed...

Maybe not in btrfs, but in lots of other filesystems those codepaths are
well tested and reviewed.  Heck, I have had to fix lots of odd
filesystems myself in that area when it was pointed out there were
problems in them.

Also, your own comment "just like we've fixed this same type of bug many
many times in the past" makes one less than confident...

There will always be bugs, I said that because the kernel security team
treats this type of bug very seriously and will work to fix it wherever
found.  You _should_ be able to rely on mounting an arbitrary filesystem
image with no issues.

thanks,

greg k-h