Re: What's "package based mentality" and why is it bad?

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 15:19 +0200, Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:
On 22 May 2013 14:52, Nikita Churaev <lamefun x0r gmail com> wrote:
http://www.gnome.org/news/2013/03/gnome-3-8-jon-mccann-talks-of-future-in-gnome

...We've reached the end of the utility of the package based mentality
that has been effective at getting us to where we are now...

What does "package based mentality" mean and why is it bad?

Read these two Ingo Molnar posts for a "non-GNOME" perspective on the issue:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/109922199462633401279/posts/HgdeFDfRzNe
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109922199462633401279/posts/VSdDJnscewS

Rui

Why can't the situation be improved without removing dependency
resolution and system-wide libraries? Isn't this the problem of
standardization and unification? Eg. if all distributions used RPM and
you could be sure that GTK+ 3 package is called gtk3 and the library is
located in /usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so, what problems would remain there?