Re: Thoughts on "Linux Apps" paper

HI!
For the Listaller project[1] we do exactly this. Listaller has - in
contrast to Glick2 - a concept of application-directories, which are
managed by the system. The user will never have to move application
bundles around. Of course, this means that software has to be
installed (the whole think hooks into PackageKIt).
Glick2 apps don't need to be relocatable, which is one of the
advantages of Glick. For Listaller, having relocation is mandatory, so
we put together some instructions and helper tools ([2]) to make apps
relocatable, reduce their dependencies and link them against older
libraries, if the app developer wants to do that.
At time, it looks like GNOME will go for Glick2, but in sense of
"application-building-best-practices", it might be a good idea to
collaborate, and maybe include people from other desktops in the loop
to publish a document under the Freedesktop umbrella, describing best
practices.
For the application-sandbox, I read the early specs outlined by
Lennart Poettering, and I love the concept. Since we had a few
problems with the Arkose sandbox, I would like to use the new-sandbox
in Listaller too and make it available on other desktops as well, so
we have one great sandboxing solution instead of multiple bad or
incomplete ones.

Btw, I've run a few tests on apps (mostly games, so the statistics
doesn't say much) and nearly all of them work in Listaller and most
likely Glick2 too. Almost every tool which has a Windows port is
relocatable already, same applies to MacOS-X cross-platform apps. So,
I don't assume that much code would need to be changed in the apps for
a "Linux-Apps"-world.
Cheers,
    Matthias

[1]: http://listaller.tenstral.net/