Re: Application Installation & Distribution

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 15:01 -0400, Allan Day wrote:

>  * We need an app store. Having a centralised service for application
> distribution would make it easier for people to find the applications
> they are interested in, for us to generate revenue from those
> applications (perhaps through donations that could be redistributed it
> to 3rd party developers), and for handling application updates. The
> app store can be online in the first instance. GNOME 3 will also need
> a place where installed applications can be viewed and removed; this
> could be part of System Settings or a separate application.

A few questions:

1) Do we allow other sources?  Do we encourage it?  If so, to
   what degree does that break the "centralized updates" story?
2) Does this GNOME app store allow proprietary software?
3) What is our set of acceptable Free/Open Source Software licenses?
4) To what degree do we expect software there to be reviewed?
   How much can we learn from extensions.gnome.org?  It's just Jasper
   doing reviews, right?