Re: The next Gnome Office release.

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 19:17 -0500, David Bolack wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 18:31, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> > I think that every time a GO application gets a minor version bump, we
> > should quiety bump the GO version number.
>
> I'm of the firm opinion that GO should only bump when two or more
> components do a minor stable revision. ( 1.2 to 1.4 etc ) and *only*
> then.  If depends change/increase, or revisions are *major* then go up a
> whole number.
>
> Non-geeks really get a little confused by the layers of subversions.

What part of the word 'quietly' didn't you understand? ;)

I don't think it should be announced unless it's really important.

But I think it's important to diligently update GO with each GO app
release because every incremental minor application release usually
fixes blocker or crasher bugs that will cause people problems.

By quietly upping the minor version number, we'll be ensuring that
people new to GO will be acquiring the _latest_ stable versions of
applications and hence getting the best possible experience.

It will also give us a way to keep older GO versions up to date.  Whilst
we might be working with the 1.2.x releases, we could keep 1.1.x
releases coming out for the sake of people who are (to whatever degree)
dependent on the 1.1.x set of GO applications.

Oh well, I've made my point.  Just an idea.
--
- Charlie

Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>
Online @ http://www.charlietech.com