Re: The next Gnome Office release.

msevior physics unimelb edu au wrote:

Hi Folks,
        GNOME-2.6 is about to be released. After our initial
Gnome-Office-1.0 release we decided it would be a good idea to
have the next Gnome-Office release follow the GNOME-2.6 release
relatively soon.

Just to let everyone know, I think AbiWord-2.2 is at least 2 months away
from being ready.

What is the status of Gnumeric, GNOME-DB and other potential components?
Is there an ETA for the those projects?

Also I beleive the next Gnumeric release will feature a Win32 port. Does
it make sense to package up a Gnome-Office for Windows (at least
AbiWord-2.2 plus Gnumeric-x) binary? If people are happy here are happy
with this idea I'll cajole the AbiWord windows packager(s) to work on
this.
/me patiently waits for a sensible replacement for his Excel 97. :)

What number should call this release? My personal vote is to call it
Gnome-Office-1.2.
As long as this even-minor-stable system is used by Gnome and AbiWord
(and I think Gnumeric?), sounds good by my unqualified opinion.

BTW this would be an excellent way for people with some windows knowlege
to help out. Doing the packaging is Real Work and would help us enormously
but does not require deep understanding of either AbiWord or Gnumeric. We
could really use help with this.
I can help with packaging, if I can talk with Jeremy for a bit.  I've
done some stuff with NSIS, and now that it's even more mature and nice,
I think it would be a good thing to use.  Not too hard.  Also, Inno
Setup is another option (also free) that I've used, also looks nice.
I'd probably be in favor of NSIS simply because AbiWord already uses it.

Cheers

Martin
Ryan