Re: Gnome Office, Bonobo and other apps

Le dim 07/03/2004 à 16:38, msevior physics unimelb edu au a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have started developing applications related to chemistry (GChemPaint
> > and Gnome Crystal) some years ago, using the gtk+ and gnome libs with
> > the hope I'll be able one day to incorporate data inside Abiword and
> > other gnome apps using Bonobo.
> > I could do it in gnumeric-1.0 (but the data were not saved) but never in
> > abiword, which would be much more interesting.
> > I'd like to know if there are plans to use Bonobo embedding (may be I
> > can help).
> >

> We've thought about this a fair bit. The plans are still there but they
> haven't been followed through. One step we thought we needed first was to
> have a way of making SVG representation of our applications. In particular
> the idea was to do this via gnome-print. ie print ot svg like pdf or ps. I
> think dom has recently committed code to gnome-print to do this. So now we
> just have include proper SVG support in our apps.
>
> I guess my question you would be what does bonobo embedding get you? Would
> having a nice vector representation be sufficient?

It would be a good thing but not enough in my sense. I would like the
data saved with the text, not only a svg representation, so that it is
possible to edit them from the container (it can be edited in a separate
window; in place edition might be better but not necessary). Worse, a
vector representation is not appropriate for Gnome Crystal which is
OpenGL based (generates a high resolution bitmap on printing). IMHO the
ideal would be to use a Bonobo control for display when it is available
on the computer and the svg representation otherwise.

Best regards,

Jean