Re: GnuCash page on GO site

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 21:29 -0600, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> > 9/ libgda
> >     No need to write your own data base access routines.
>
> I willl try to put this politely but I beleive that libgda and
> gnomedb really have the wrong abstraction of what a database is
> or how one codes with one.

which libgda version are you talking about? libgda 1.0.x contains a data
abtraction that allows you to access easily any kind of data source (a
SQL database, a XBase file, a XML file, etc). There is only one thing
missing, which is an easy way to update the data in the data source, and
that's being worked on for 1.2.

So, could you please ellaborate on what 'wrong abstraction' you're
talking about?

>   I have other ideas, implemented mostly at
> http://qof.sourceforge.net/ but its only gotten to 0.2 or something
> like that.

it does basically waht libgda does. I have no time now to look at it
with detail, so what's so different on it from libgda?

> > 5) I suspect some of them do belong there, and will migrate some
> >    day.  The gal widgets didn't go down because they didn't meet the
> >    quality standards of gtk.  They worked in the simple case, but
> >    weren't well designed for all possible uses.
>
> A better overview of gal would be nice. Every now and then I try to
> figure out if it has something good in it that we might want to use,
> but can't every really figure out 'what its good for' (at least, I'm
> not patient enough to ... )

gal is good for evolution, period. Other applications should never use
it. If you really need something from it, copy&paste it into your
project.

cheers