Re: [Inkscape-devel] Joining GNOME Office

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 05:41, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> > Inkscape is basically aiming in-memory hierarchical database, including
> > transactions, which I think kind of precludes using libxml structures.
> > Also, the eventual plan for Inkscape is to also store CSS parse trees in
> > the same document tree as the XML document itself.
>
> I'm unsure of the feasibility, but have you looked at Gnome-DB for doing
> this rather than implementing it over again?

Well, the goal for right now is a lot more modest than a general
database architecture -- I'm just using database terminology with our
parse tree representation because treating it as a (hierarchical)
database turned out to have some conceptual benefits.

Conceivably, we might do some real database-y things down the road to
support things like distributed editing, but that's a long way away
yet...

Even then, I'm not sure GnomeDB would be a good fit, since GnomeDB is
designed for relational rather than hierarchical data.

Also, there are some special requirements, like a commit operation that
returns a log fragment which later can be rewound/replayed to undo or
redo the transaction (this is used for undo/redo of operations that
affect the parse tree), and fine-grained constraints and change
notifications.

-mental